Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Beauty of Scriptures

I love finding connections to characters through literature and film. When I find a good story with a relatable character, I'm hooked! Yet there are fewer occasion in my life when I am reading the Bible or Book of Mormon and I think "I can totally relate to this story!" For whatever reason, whether it be the era, language, because I was just going through the motions, I did not find frequent connection to characters in scripture. However when I do find that connection, it is a precious moment indeed. I have often heard that we talk to God through prayer and He talks to us through scripture. Then while reading scripture should I be reading intently and making connections?

I'm happy to say that I am seeking connections to characters in the scriptures much more, and I feel much more insight coming while I read. The most amazing thing I have in common with most the characters I love, is that their motive in doing good is to follow Jesus Christ. I also admit that the stories which have big events, and many times tragedies really get to me. I love them. And so some may wonder, "Why would this missionary post such a sad video on her first blog! Loca" But I'm not a loca. I've thought it through, and this story of relating scripture is too awesome not to share.

It is a story of two missionaries: Alma and Amulek. They both had amazing conversions to Jesus Christ. They, like many other apostles, "dropped their nets" in order to invite their fellow brothers and sister to come unto Christ. They followed God and walked in the light of the Lord through tragedy. I love this video.This mom, Jenny, succeeded in relating scripture to her. She loves Alma and Amulek, watch how it blessed her life.


Relating scriptures to our lives is crucial. I know that The Book of Mormon was written and translated for our generation. For you. So I invite you to experiment on its words; find connections while you read scripture. Talk to Him and He will talk back. And I know that when you read between the lines, and find the hidden principles and intricacies, you can find connections. Scripture and words from our Heavenly Father really can be precious to us, like it was for Jenny in the video. Feasting upon scripture will bring us closer to Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father, and it will bring the holy spirit more into our lives.
You can Alma and Amulek's story at http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/14?lang=eng
I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment